I received the following question from a client this week. “Are you willing to share how you pull yourself out of those “can’t get anything done” spots?”
I did my best to answer. What do you do? I’m sure that you can add to this list.
- Sometimes, I act “as if,” which comes from a Hebrew term I learned. That is I do one thing even if intellectually I’m thinking it does not matter.
- I set a minimum goal for the day, if I’m not feeling productive. For example, even if I am in a hole, I make sure that I take care of my active clients. It is not enough to keep a business going, but some days are just like that…
- Other times, I do one thing just to keep moving forward. It may take only 10 minutes. On occasion, once I start, I’ll feel like doing more.
- I am mindful of my thoughts that are inevitably getting in my way. I question them and try to step into a different perspective.
- I exercise, if that is what I feel I need.
- I call a friend / family member.
- I remind myself that I’ve been “here” before and it will pass, as it always has.
- If I’m exhausted, I take a nap.
- If I’m hungry, I eat.
Please add to the list.